Cambodian Companies Now Required to Use National Domain Name
Registered companies in Cambodia are now required to use a local domain name such as .com.kh for their websites and email addresses. The domain names are valid for one year before they have to be renewed. Businesses have until January 1, 2023, to comply with the regulation.
As of April 2022, companies registered in Cambodia must use a level 2 national domain name ‘.com.kh’ in addition to any Cambodian email addresses and social media accounts. The requirement has been implemented under joint Notification No. 873, issued by the Ministry of Commerce (MOC) and the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications (MPTC).
The domain names are valid for a period of one year, after which the company must renew and pay a fee to the MOC. The domain name will be deleted if it is not renewed by the owner. Further, a domain name can be deleted if requested by the authorities.
Registered businesses in Cambodia have been given until January 1, 2023, to implement the domain name changes.
The designation of domain names in Cambodia
A national domain name includes:
- A domain name ending with gov.kh is reserved for ministries and state institutions;
- The domain name edu.kh is reserved for public and private educational establishments;
- The domain name .com.kh is designated for private and public enterprises that are registered with the MPTC;
- A domain name ending with .net.kh is designated for a company providing computer, or internet network services; and
- The domain name .org.kh is reserved for non-government organizations, a union, or an association.
The domain names can be in the Khmer language or in a foreign language. However, the name must be a letter, hyphen, number, or a combination of all three. Further, the ministry has the right to reject any request for domain names, or reserved domain names, which are deemed offensive to local tradition, or religious beliefs.
After expiration, and if the renewal fees are not paid, the domain will be temporarily suspended. After 60 days without payment, the domain name will be deleted.
How can a business apply for a domain name in Cambodia?
To apply for a domain name, businesses must prepare several documents for the MPTC. Businesses must first fill out an application form for registering a new domain name. In addition, they need to prepare:
- A copy of the company’s certificate of incorporation, certified by a public notary in Cambodia or by the One Window Service;
- A certified copy of the applicant’s passport (if the applicant is a foreigner) or Khmer national ID, also certified by either a public notary or by the One Window Service; and
- A certified copy of the company’s Cambodian trademark registration (if applicable).
The registration fee is approximately 406,000 riel (US$100), and the initial annual fee is 121,000 riel (US$30). The following year’s fee is the same amount.
ASEAN Briefing is produced by Dezan Shira & Associates. The firm assists foreign investors throughout Asia and maintains offices throughout ASEAN, including in Singapore, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and Da Nang in Vietnam, Munich, and Essen in Germany, Boston, and Salt Lake City in the United States, Milan, Conegliano, and Udine in Italy, in addition to Jakarta, and Batam in Indonesia. We also have partner firms in Malaysia, Bangladesh, the Philippines, and Thailand as well as our practices in China and India. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.dezshira.com.